Do Magic Mushrooms Go Bad?

By Austin Dixon | Updated February 9, 2023 | Consumption, Mushrooms
Magic mushrooms laying on counter

There’s a lot of information out there on magic mushrooms.

One question that often comes up is whether they expire or not.

Do magic mushrooms go bad over time? Are there any indicators that will let you know when they’re no longer safe to consume?

In this post, we’ll explore the answers to those questions and more.

How Long Do Mushrooms Last?

Fresh mushrooms are best for about 7-10 days, but can be stored in Tupperware or mason jars and kept at room temperature if you don’t plan on using them all that quickly.

Drying out the fresh ones using a dehydrator can increase their shelf life drastically.

Just make sure not to expose them directly sunlight because this could negatively affect their potency.

You can usually get magic mushrooms to last for about two weeks if they are stored properly.

How Long Will Dry Mushrooms Last?

Dried mushrooms need to be stored in a cool and dark place for their best shelf life.

They will last up to one year if kept at room temperature; six months if you keep them on the countertop with no air circulation or light exposure.

How To Store Magic Mushrooms

Once your magic mushrooms are dried, they should be cooled before handling.

When at room temperature, it’s time to transfer them into storage containers.

We recommend filling clean jars with tightly fitting covers and labels for each type of mushroom variety stored in order that you can tell what is inside without opening up the jar.

Keep these jars away from direct light, if possible, and store in a cool, dry place.

How Can You Tell If Mushrooms Have Gone Bad?

You can usually tell if your mushrooms have gone bad if they develop a sticky or slimy surface and get darker in color.

Once this starts, it quickly destroys the mushrooms. So, once you begin to feel slime on any one of them cook quickly for another few days.

What happens if you eat old mushrooms?

Many people are unaware that mushrooms can contain harmful microbes.

Eating a spoiled or rotten mushroom may cause gastrointestinal illness and even poisoning.

It’s not the actual fungus that will make you sick, rather the microbes that colonize the mushroom.

Austin Dixon

About the Author

Austin Dixon is a recently converted psychonaut with a newfound interest in psychedelics and their affects on mental health. After thinking psychedelics were "weird hippie drugs" for 28 years, his mission is to now help educate others who are new to psychedelics.

Disclosure: We may receive affiliate compensation for some of the links on this site. You can read our affiliate disclosure in our Privacy Policy. Any product we recommend is something our team has tried out and endorses. This site does not endorse the use and/or possession of any illegal drugs. The information contained in this website regarding legal or illegal drug use in not an endorsement of any such use and should only be used for educational purposes.

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}