Wondering how long does it take for shrooms to kick in?
Depending on how many grams of shrooms you take, the effects of taking shrooms can be different for everyone and can lead to an intense psychedelic experience.
In this article, we’ll reveal how long it takes for the effects of magic mushrooms to start working.
Plus, we’ll discuss what those effects feel like after taking magic mushrooms and how to avoid having a bad trip.
How Long Does It Take For Shrooms To Kick In?
On average, it takes around 30 minutes after taking shrooms for the psychedelic effects to kick in.
However, depending on a variety of factors, the effects can kick in as quick as 10 minutes or as long as about an hour after taking shrooms.
These factors include:
- Dosage: The amount of shrooms consumed will greatly affect how quickly they start to take effect. Generally, a higher dose will lead to a quicker onset time, as a larger amount of psilocybin (the active compound in shrooms) will enter the bloodstream at a faster rate.
- Method of Consumption: The way in which the shrooms are consumed can also affect the onset time. For example, consuming shrooms orally (by eating them) will typically result in a slower onset time compared to other methods such as sublingual consumption (placing them under the tongue) or tamponing (inserting them into the rectum). This is because oral consumption requires the shrooms to pass through the digestive system, which can slow down the rate at which the active compounds are absorbed into the bloodstream.
- Metabolism: Every person’s metabolism is different and can affect how quickly shrooms start to take effect. People with a faster metabolism may experience a quicker onset time compared to those with a slower metabolism, as the active compounds are processed more quickly in individuals with a faster metabolism.
Despite the various factors that can impact the onset time of shrooms, the average onset time is typically between 20 minutes to 1 hour after consumption.
However, this can vary depending on individual differences such as the factors discussed above, so it’s important to keep in mind that individual experiences may differ.
Some people may experience the effects of shrooms sooner, while others may take longer to feel their effects.
How fast does a lemon tek take to kick in?
Lemon tekking is a popular way to consume magic mushrooms that involves soaking the shrooms in lemon juice for a period of time before consuming them.
The acidic environment created by the lemon juice is thought to help break down the cell walls of the shrooms, releasing the active compounds and potentially speeding up the onset time.
The Lemon Tek method is often said to result in a faster onset time compared to other methods of consuming shrooms.
This is because the acidic environment of the lemon juice is believed to help break down the cell walls of the shrooms and release the active compounds more quickly into the bloodstream.
However, it’s important to note that the scientific evidence for this claim is limited and more research is needed to determine the exact effects of the Lemon Tek method on onset time.
Despite this, many people continue to report faster onset times when using the Lemon Tek method, making it a popular option for those looking to experience the effects of shrooms more quickly.
Does the Amount Taken Affect How Long it Takes to Get Started?
One of the most important factors that can affect how long it takes for shrooms to take effect is the dosage consumed.
The amount of shrooms consumed can greatly impact the onset time, with higher doses typically resulting in a quicker onset time.
When a higher dose of shrooms is consumed, more of the active compound psilocybin enters the bloodstream at a faster rate, leading to a quicker onset time.
On the other hand, a lower dose of shrooms will result in a slower onset time, as the active compound will enter the bloodstream at a slower rate.
It’s important to note that the relationship between dosage and onset time can be complex and may vary depending on individual differences such as metabolism and method of consumption.
Additionally, it’s important to start with a low dose and gradually increase it, as taking too high of a dose can lead to adverse effects such as intense anxiety, paranoia, or even a bad trip.
How Long Does a Shroom High Last?
The average trip duration for shrooms is typically around 4 to 6 hours, although this can vary depending on the dose consumed and other individual factors.
The peak effects of a shroom trip are usually reached after around 1 to 2 hours, after which the effects will gradually start to fade.
Here’s what you can typically expect when using shrooms:
|Amount of Shrooms (grams)||Duration of Shroom High|
|0.1 to 0.5 grams||1-2 hours|
|0.5 to 1 grams||2-3 hours|
|1 to 3 grams||4-6 hours|
|3+ grams||6-12 hours|
There are several factors that can affect the duration of a shroom trip, including:
- Dosage: As mentioned previously, the amount of shrooms consumed can greatly impact the trip duration, with higher doses typically resulting in a longer trip.
- Metabolism: Individual differences in metabolism can also affect the duration of a shroom trip, as some people may metabolize the active compounds more quickly or slowly than others.
- Tolerance: Frequent use of shrooms can lead to a tolerance buildup, meaning that a person will need to take a higher dose to achieve the same effects. This can also result in a longer trip duration.
- Set and Setting: The environment in which a person takes shrooms and their mindset can also greatly impact the trip duration, as a negative or anxious mindset can lead to a more intense and longer-lasting trip.
It’s important to remember that everyone’s experience with shrooms is unique, and the duration of a trip can vary greatly from person to person.
Does Diet Affect the Duration of a Trip?
Diet can play a role in the duration of a shroom trip, although the exact effect of diet on trip duration is not fully understood.
There are some anecdotal reports of certain foods and drinks being able to shorten or prolong a shroom trip, but there is limited scientific evidence to support these claims.
One of the most commonly cited ways that diet can affect the duration of a shroom trip is by affecting the metabolism of the active compounds in shrooms.
For example, some people report that drinking coffee or other caffeinated beverages before taking shrooms can result in a faster onset time, while others report that drinking alcohol can prolong the trip.
However, it’s important to note that the effect of diet on trip duration is highly individual and may vary greatly from person to person.
Additionally, it’s important to be cautious when mixing shrooms with other substances, as this can result in adverse effects and interact with any other medications a person may be taking.
Should I Take Shrooms On A Full Stomach?
In general, it’s best to avoid consuming large amounts of food or drink before taking shrooms, as this can lead to an upset stomach and affect the trip experience.
Additionally, staying hydrated and avoiding alcohol or caffeine can help to ensure a comfortable and safe trip.
Should I Take Shrooms On An Empty Stomach?
It’s generally recommended to take shrooms on an empty or near-empty stomach, as having food in your stomach can slow down the absorption of the active compounds and prolong the onset time.
Taking shrooms on an empty stomach can result in a more intense trip experience, as there are no other substances present to compete for the body’s metabolic resources.
However, it’s important to keep in mind that everyone is different and what works for one person may not work for another.
Some people may experience nausea or vomiting when taking shrooms on an empty stomach, so it’s important to listen to your body and make decisions based on how you feel.
How Long Do Shrooms Stay in Your System?
Shrooms can be detected in a urine test for up to 5 days after use, while they can be detected in a blood test for up to 2 days.
However, these are just rough estimates and the actual detection time can vary greatly from person to person.
This is because magic mushrooms are metabolized in the body like any other substance.
The active compounds in shrooms are broken down and processed by the liver, and eventually excreted in the urine and feces.
The length of time it takes for shrooms to clear from the body depends on a number of factors, such as:
- Dosage: The higher the dose, the longer it will take for the body to process and clear the shrooms from the system.
- Metabolism: A person’s metabolic rate can affect how quickly shrooms are cleared from the body. People with a faster metabolism may clear shrooms more quickly than people with a slower metabolism.
- Age: As a person ages, their metabolic rate tends to slow down, which can result in shrooms staying in the system for a longer period of time.
- Body mass: People with a higher body mass may clear shrooms more slowly than people with a lower body mass.
Best Ways To Take Magic Mushrooms
There are several methods of consuming magic mushrooms, including eating them raw, brewing them in tea, or adding them to food.
Each method has its own benefits and drawbacks, so it’s important to choose the one that works best for you.
Here are some of our favorite ways to consume shrooms:
If you’re looking for an easy, convenient way to take shrooms, we recommend using capsules.
Just like most supplements, capsules are quick to ingest and can be swallowed down with water or any other beverage.
The nice thing about capsules too is that, when filled properly, the dosage of each capsule is uniform across the board.
For instance, I use this capsule filling machine to create 0.25 gram capsules for easy consumption.
If you want to learn more about growing magic mushrooms at home, make sure to check out our grow guide.
Making shroom tea is one of the most popular ways to ingest magic mushrooms.
After drying out your shrooms, you can grind it into a fine powder and place it in any homemade or store-bought tea.
What’s nice about this method is that the taste of the shrooms is diluted.
You can learn more about making shroom tea here.
“Lemon tekking” is a popular way to take shrooms since it offers a few benefits.
Psilocybin mushrooms contain chitin, which is a polysaccharide the human body has a tough time breaking down.
The acidic nature of lemon juice helps our bodies break down chitin easier.
Due to this, a “lemon tek” allows you to feel the effects of shrooms faster (typically within 10-20 minutes).
This also means that your trip will likely be shorter as well. Instead of the normal 4-6 hours, tripping off of a lemon tek lasts between 2-3 hours.
Plus, the lemon will help you avoid any nausea that may come from ingesting magic mushrooms.
In order to lemon tek, squeeze one lemon into any household cup or glass.
Mix in your desired amount of dried mushroom powder and let it sit for 20-30 minutes while occasionally stirring.
When choosing the best method of consuming magic mushrooms, there are several factors to consider, including:
- Onset time: How quickly you want the shrooms to take effect will affect your choice of method. If you want the effects to start quickly, brewing in tea or adding to food may be your best option. If you’re willing to wait a little longer for the effects to start, eating the shrooms raw may be your best bet.
- Intensity of the trip: The method you choose will also affect the intensity of the trip. Eating shrooms raw tends to produce a longer and more intense trip, while brewing in tea or adding to food may result in a shorter and less intense experience.
- Personal preference: Ultimately, the best method of consuming magic mushrooms is the one that works best for you. Experiment with different methods to find the one that you enjoy the most.
Magic mushrooms are becoming more and more popular because they offer a variety of different health and therapeutic benefits.
However, it’s important to understand not only these benefits but also the effects they have on humans when consumed. Doing so will help you avoid having a bad trip and avoid nausea while shrooming.
A few factors affect how long it takes for shrooms effects to kick in. These include body composition, shroom dosage, diet, and prior drug use.
Also, the length of each magic mushroom trip can vary.
Please use this article as a guide to safe usage and remember to trip responsibly.